Thursday, August 7, 2014

Obligatory 3d Printer design updates


Work is proceeding slowly but surely on Obligatory 3d Printer. While I'd like to proceed faster, general busyness and the knowledge that I won't have waterjet access until 3 weeks from now are setting the build schedule. First, updates on the mechanical design:




This strange looking part is the assembly for my sliding extruder mechanism. As I have already purchased a MakerBot Mk. 7 knockoff extruder, I based this design around it (the CAD of the extruder itself is available online, not something I modeled). My goals with this piece were to keep it light and simple. I've swapped out the "universal mount plate" that came with the extruder (which was apparently not universal enough for my needs) with some soon-to-be waterjet cut 1/16th aluminum plate. This plate forms a rigid mount point for the extruder and linear bearing holders. The 4 LM8UU linear bearings, popularized by almost every hobby 3d printer on earth, are snap fit into 2 ABS 3d printed holders. Yes, I am 3d printing parts for my 3d printer. Fortunately, this is inexpensive and relatively painless by utilizing the high quality 3d print services at RPI. These two "wings" on either side tap into the plate and suspend the nozzle. I've decided not to design some intentional flex points into the bearing mounts here, mostly because of the inherent flexibility in the ABS mount and my faith in the accuracy of the 3d printer making the part. Looking closely at the lower image, it is possible to see a little clip that will clamp onto the timing belt which moves the assembly. Progressing to the next logical parts, below are the y axis sliding mounts:



The same general design procedure applied here, 3d printed ABS and snap in bearings. The two parallel holes support the x axis rods. The other protrusions consist of a mount for the stepper motor and timing pulley, respectively. These parts are not finalized yet, and still lack timing belt clips to allow them to move along the y axis. I feel very spoiled being able to print parts with ridiculously complicated geometry like these to fit my exact needs. Hopefully this will be a taste of future printing endeavors. I'll leave the y axis stepper motor coupling for next post when it is more complete.

I think that now would be a good time to cover the electronics that will be used in this project. As stated earlier, the extruder comes courtesy of the MakerBot Mk. 7 design. All of the other stepper motors are standard NEMA 17 types, sourced from Sparkfun. Moving on to the control side, I will be using a AzteegX3 board for all my motor driving, heating, and processing needs. I haven't had the opportunity to try out the board yet, but my initial impressions lead me to be very impressed with it. Complementing the Azteeg, I also have a ViKiLCD unit which will mount into the front, providing a simple user interface and SD card support. Rounding out the trio of products from Panucatt devices is the Helios heated build plate, which provides 62 square inches of build space (and looks really cool with its black and yellow color scheme). Powering it all is a currently unspecified 500ish watt computer power supply, because my last one abruptly exploded a few weeks ago for an unknown reason. The interior sides of the printer are also lined with blue led modules from Sparkfun, to go with the translucent blue acrylic side windows. I have yet to find a good source for stepper motor cable specifically, so I plan on using some generic "automation rated" 4 conductor wire from McMaster. That's all for now, more updates will follow shortly.




No comments:

Post a Comment